The Public Research Centre - Gabriel Lippmann. Luxemburg, 02.01.
The Public Research Centre − Gabriel Lippmann, a public establishment for applied scientific research and technology transfer, has an opening for a permanent position for its internationally recognized "Environment and Agro-biotechnologies" department (EVA), for:
a researcher in remote sensing and
ecosystem modelling (m/f)
Description of the position:
The position is part of a larger research program for developing bottom-up and top-down
approaches integrating scalable (footprint and ecosystem-scale) models with a spatially nested
hierarchy of observations.This will include medium to high resolution remote sensing, microwave
remote sensing, terrestrial inventories, existing networks and own measurements of flux masts
and soil chambers for an improved monitoring of carbon, nitrogen, and water dynamics in
terrestrial ecosystems. This will also allow to gain a better understanding of the phenological and
distributional impacts of projected global (i.e. mostly but not only climate) change on agriculture,
viticulture, forestry and biodiversity resources.
The task of the researcher will in particular consist in the integration of remote sensing data and ecosystem / ecohydrological modelling approaches for an improved understanding and monitoring of (agro)-ecosystem processes. He or she will work on a multi-scale approach including point-in situ data, UAV, airborne and satellite data and will develop test and validate data assimilation procedures.
- PhD in geosciences, physical geography, environmental sciences or other relevant scientific discipline with a specialization in remote sensing and ecosystem modelling;
- Advanced skills in remote sensing data (hyperspectral, multispectral and UAV) processing, including geometric and radiometric corrections, radiative transfer modeling, and classification approaches;
- Advanced skills with common digital imaging analysis, GIS software (ESRI ArcGIS, Erdas/Imagine, IDL/ENVI), and programming (R, IDL, Matlab);
- Experience in the design and sampling of field data (LAI, spectral data, biomass, chlorophyll) and UAV observation is required;
- Good knowledge of assimilation of remote sensing data into dynamic process models is considered as an important asset;
- Good understanding of important ecosystem processes and knowledge of common ecosystem and crop growth models;
- Record of publications in peer reviewed scientific journals;
- Applicants must demonstrate good skills in oral communication, and an interest to work on intra- and interdepartmental multidisciplinary projects;
- At least two years of experience after PHD in a similar position in a R&D environment (public or private), with proven researcher skills;
- Good organizational skills and the ability to work productively in a team environment are essential attributes, international experience and interest is desired;
- The candidate must be fluent in English, knowledge of French is an advantage.
Candidates interested in the above position can apply online on our website www.lippmann.lu. The application file should include a CV, a motivation letter, the names of two or three referees, a list of research projects, a list of publications, a report including the past and current research activities, the technologies applied, the results obtained and a copy of the last diploma.
For any question regarding our job offers or the application process, please contact our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org