Universität Wien. Wien (Österreich), 04.05.2017
The Department of Business Administration at the University of Vienna invites applications for the position of a
PhD student / research associate
Why join us
In Strategic Management/Organizational Design
The Department of Business Administration at the University of Vienna is one of the most internationally visible management departments in Europe - constantly ranked among the top two in management research among all universities in the German-speaking world, and belongs to the finest institutions in its field internationally.
The Strategic Management Subject Area within the Department commenced its operations in August 2012. In steady state, our team consists of approximately 10 people from four different nationalities. Jointly, we investigate questions pertaining to strategic decision-making of organizations and related performance implications. We are particularly interested in early-stage (organizational design) decisions relevant to firms operating in (technologically) innovative environments. We are agnostic to methods and pursue formally analytical, simulation-based, ethnographic, large-scale empirical as well as experimental techniques. Our publications have appeared in the finest management outlets, such as the Academy of Management Review, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Production and Operations Management, Research Policy, and the Strategic Management Journal, to mention but a few. Our research is funded by several agencies, and we regularly host conferences and seminars featuring colleagues from all over the globe.
We are currently looking for a dedicated PhD student to follow on from a recently graduated team member. Find more information about the Strategic Management area and its members here: http://strategy.univie.ac.at/
Who we are looking for
Applicant should have completed their Master/Diploma degrees (or be very near completion) by the time of their application. We are looking for graduates from:
- Renowned management programs: e.g. M.Sc. in Business (Dipl.- Kfm., Kffr.)
- Adjacent disciplines such as economics, psychology, engineering or computer sciences: e.g. M.Sc. in economics (Dipl.-Vw.), M.Sc. in industrial engineering (Dipl.-Wi.-Ing.), M.Sc. in information management (Dipl.-Wi.-Inf.), M.Sc. in psychology (Dipl.-Psych.)
- a top graduate (belong to the best 10% of their graduating classes)
- have a strong quantitative background
- have an interest in acquiring methodological skills in areas such as formal (mathematical) modelling and/or (quantitative) empirical testing (conducting experimental research and/or large-scale field studies).
What we offer
Successful candidates will join the Strategy Area as research and teaching associates
- on a 30 hours/week contract
(gross salary amounting to approx. 26,500 €/annum),
- and will be enrolled in the Departments PhD program in Management (specializing in Strategic Management: http://strategy.univie.ac.at/phd-in-management-and-strategic-management-specialization/)
Outside the core doctoral program, the Strategy Area will actively nurture research by its members, aimed at making a contribution at the highest international levels and preparing them to succeed in the international academic job market. Students from our group have received offers for junior faculty positions from leading European universities.
In addition, candidates assist and participate in administrative tasks and teaching activities (teaching due to extent regulations of wage agreement) of the strategy area at all levels.
No final decision will be taken before 31 May 2017. Afterwards we may have a rolling dead-line if we are still looking for the right candidate.
- your letter of motivation (no specific research proposal)
- your transcripts of prior university course work (including grades)
- your GPA and (if available GRE or GMAT) scores
Since the University of Vienna specifically invites applications by women in order to increase their number in high-level positions, women will receive preferential consideration among equally qualified applicants.
For further information please contact Professor Markus Reitzig (Strategy subject area chair) via email (email@example.com).