The RHET AI Center is one of four new centers for the science of science communication funded by Volkswagen Foundation. We plan to investigate ways to facilitate a well-informed critical discussion of AI that takes its enormous social implications into account. At the RHET AI Center, five research units are to be established as a joint project by the Rhetoric Department and the Institute of Media Studies at the University of Tübingen, the Department of Science Communication at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, researchers from the Excellence Cluster Machine Learning and Cyber Valley, Europe’s largest AI research consortium, as well as the practice partner Wissenschaft im Dialog in Berlin.
In these research units we are looking for highly motivated and committed colleagues from a wide array of research disciplines to come work with us. At the University of Tübingen, the following positions - contracts limited to three or five years respectively - are open:
- 1 Postdoctoral Researcher on “AI and Visual Culture” (100% E13 TV-L, 5 years)
- 1 Project Manager on “Communicative Competence” (100% E13 TV-L, 5 years)
- 1 PhD-Student on “AI in Local Discourse” (65% E13 TV-L, 3 years)
- 1 PhD-Student on “Evaluating Communicative Competence” (65% E13 TV-L, 3 years)
- 1 PhD-Student on “Evaluating AI Events” (65% E13 TV-L, 3 years)
- 1 PhD-Student on “Audience Analysis” (65% E13 TV-L, 3 years)
- 1 PhD-Student on “AI Competence” (65% E13 TV-L, 3 years)
- 1 PhD-Student on “Structures of Argumentation” (65% E13 TV-L, 3 years)
The University of Tübingen encourages qualified female candidates to apply for the position to raise the number of women in research and teaching. Equally qualified applicants with disabi-lities will be given preference. We foster an unprejudiced work culture and welcome applica-tions from qualified academics with diverse social and cultural backgrounds. The employment will be carried out by the central administration of the University of Tübingen.
Applications with the usual documents (cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, publication list) should be sent in electronic form as a single PDF to Prof. Dr. Olaf Kramer at the Rhetoric Department (
email@example.com) by November 1, 2021.