Bitte beachten Sie: Diese Stellenanzeige ist nicht mehr aktiv.
Entdecken Sie hier weitere Stellenanzeigen auf academics, dem führenden Stellenmarkt für Wissenschaft und Forschung. Um regelmäßig per E-Mail über passende Stellen informiert zu werden, können Sie sich jederzeit kostenlos registrieren.
Senior Scientist at the Department of Astrophysics
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.03.2020 of a
at the Department of Astrophysics
Reference number: 10486
The Department of Astrophysics is part of the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy at the University of Vienna. Presently about 70 employees work at the department.
We seek an outstanding and enthusiastic scientist to lead and coordinate public outreach and education activities in astrophysics in our department. Main responsibilities will be related to our historic telescope infrastructure, the museum including the rare book collection, and the mobile planetarium. Tasks include organisation of public outreach activities, guided tours to the infrastructure, contact to the media, as well as the coordination of teaching activities.
Initially this position is to be filled for one year. By mutual agreement it can be extended to a permanent contract.
The tasks conform to the collective bargaining agreement of the Austrian universities (see currently §26 (2) and (5)).
They comprise as main activities:
1) Maintaining and managing the use of the historic telescope infrastructure, the museum, the rare book collection of our library, and the mobile planetarium;
2) Managing and executing the communication of our activities to the scientific community and the general public, including overseeing and developing of our website, organising guided tours, public talks, and outreach events;
3) Contributing continuously to the scientific profile of the University of Vienna in the field of Astrophysics by conducting own research activities leading to scientific publications;
4) Supporting the coordination of teaching for bachelor and master students;
Further responsibilities include:
5) Conducting independent teaching (in agreement with the collective bargaining agreement);
6) (Co-)Supervising students on own research interests and activities;
7) Contributing to general organisational and administrative tasks as well as evaluation procedures.
Doctoral / PhD degree in astronomy or astrophysics, and several years of experience in public outreach activities. Very good command of written and spoken English and German.
Excellent communication skills, leadership qualities, good team-working ability, experience in student supervision.
Your application should include a letter of motivation, a curriculum vitae (with a list of publications and presentations) and a statement of previous relevant experience including public outreach and education activities. Please also give names and contact details of 3 persons that can provide a recommondation letter.
Main research field
Special research fields
Physics, Mechanics, Astronomy
Very good knowledge
Very good knowledge
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 27.02.2020, mentioning reference number 10486.
For further information please contact Güdel, Manuel +43-1-4277-53814, Kerschbaum, Franz +43-1-4277-51856.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Um unsere Webseite optimal gestalten und fortlaufend verbessern zu können, verwenden wir Cookies. Durch die weitere Nutzung der Webseite stimmen Sie der Verwendung von Cookies zu. Weitere Informationen sowie Hinweise dazu, wie Sie die Speicherung der Cookies verhindern können, finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.