Bitte beachten Sie: Diese Stellenanzeige ist nicht mehr aktiv.
Entdecken Sie hier weitere Stellenanzeigen auf academics, dem führenden Stellenmarkt für Wissenschaft und Forschung. Um regelmäßig per E-Mail über passende Stellen informiert zu werden, können Sie sich jederzeit kostenlos registrieren.
Senior Scientist at the Department of Geography and Regional Research
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
at the Department of Geography and Regional Research
Reference number: 11052
Founded in 1885 the Department of Geography and Regional Research is the oldest and biggest geography department in Austria. It is home to more than 80 researchers as well as general staff in 7 working Groups, and 3,000 students. From the beginning, it has accommodated both human and physical geography. This interdisciplinary basis in social and natural sciences provides a dynamic and inspiring environment for researchers to address the grand societal challenges of our time.
The position is assigned to the research group Population Geography and Demography, which seeks to pursue theoretically-founded and empirically-informed research at the interface of population dynamics, environmental change and social transformation processes. We seek an outstanding and enthusiastic scientist who will contribute to the development of the environment and migration data lab.
The position is initially limited to an employment duration of 1 year with a transition to a permanent position possible through mutual agreement from both sides.
- Contribution to the development of the environment and migration data lab
- Participation in activities related to the data lab, such as review and archiving of data, capacity building, networking, outreach
- Research activities in the field of environment and migration
- Acquisition of third party funding
- International publishing and presentation activities
- Field visits and empirical fieldwork in the Global South
- Independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Science management (e.g. participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance, involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration)
- PhD / Doctoral degree in the field of Geography or a related discipline
- Professional competence in the field of population and environment
- Professional competence in handling large-scale datasets (e.g. preferably longitudinal datasets such as HDSS)
- Proven competence in statistics, knowledge in GIS is an asset
- Experience in empirical field research in the Global South (preferably Africa) and willingness to travel and work in challenging settings
- Experience in mixed method approaches
- Experience in acquiring third party funding
- Proven ability to publish in highly ranked international journals
- Excellent command of written and spoken English; French and German is an asset
- Experience in teaching and supervision of students
- Willingness to contribute to the science management
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given)
- Description of research interests and research agenda (max. 3 pages)
- Contact details of people who could provide a letter of reference
- Academic and other relevant certificates
Main research field
Special research fields
Human Geography, Regional Geography, Regional Planning
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 03.08.2020, mentioning reference number 11052.
For further information please contact Sakdapolrak, Patrick +43-1-4277-48730, Mayer, Karin +43-1-4277-48603.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.