Bitte beachten Sie: Diese Stellenanzeige ist nicht mehr aktiv.
Entdecken Sie hier weitere Stellenanzeigen auf academics, dem führenden Stellenmarkt für Wissenschaft und Forschung. Um regelmäßig per E-Mail über passende Stellen informiert zu werden, können Sie sich jederzeit kostenlos registrieren.
Senior Scientist at the Department of Meteorology and Geophysics
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.04.2021 of a
at the Department of Meteorology and Geophysics
Reference number: 11596
We are looking for a senior scientist (post-doc) in climate dynamics, climate modelling and climate data analysis to join the new research group of Prof. Aiko Voigt at the Department of Meteorology and Geophysics.
We are pursuing fundamental research in climate dynamics, with a focus on the role of clouds and their coupling with the atmospheric circulation. We study this coupling in a broad range of contexts that include extratropical storm tracks, tropical rain belts, and extreme climates such as Snowball Earth. To this end, we develop, apply and analyze model hierarchies and ensembles, which we combine with observational and theoretical perspectives. Our main modelling tool is the new unified climate and weather model ICON. We are also active in public outreach.
The senior scientist is expected to coordinate and lead the group's modelling and data analysis activities in consultation with the group leader Aiko Voigt. The position furthermore offers substantial freedom to articulate a research programme that reflects the interests and expertise of the successful candidate and complements the research activities of the group. Ideally, this research programme will harness the emerging possibilities of exascale computing and storm-resolving climate models, and will build upon the growing interactions between, climate, weather and data science.
The Department of Meteorology and Geophysics over the last year has filled three new professorships. Together with the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy, the University of Vienna and Vienna's wider research environment, this creates ample possibilities for collaborations and career development.
The position is targeted for a candidate who is interested in combining the scientific and modelling aspects of climate science in a university setting, similar to the position of a scientific programmer at model development centers.
The envisioned start date is spring 2021, but there is flexibility to accommodate the needs of the successful candidate.
The position is initially limited to an employment duration of 3 years with a transition to a permanent position possible through mutual agreement from both sides.
Participation in research, teaching and administration; in particular:
• Coordinate the group’s modelling activities, including preparing and performing model simulations and adapting the model code to scientific and teaching needs
• (Contribute to) Project applications and the acquisition of third-party funding, including applications for HPC resources
• Disseminate results through high quality peer-review publications and presentations at conferences
• Independent teaching as defined by the collective agreement
• Student supervision
• Scientific and technical support of group members
• Full involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
• Active contributions to the vibrant intellectual culture of the department
• A PhD / Doctoral degree in climate science, atmospheric sciences, meteorology or a related field
• Profound experience in running climate models or numerical weather prediction models on high-performance computers
• Strong skills in programming, data analysis and software management (e.g., Fortran, Python, git)
• Track record of excellent and independent research on topics related to climate modeling
• Excellent (written and spoken) communication skills in English
• Interest in working in a diverse international team
• Creativity and curiosity, as well as ability to work towards deadlines
Furthermore, the following skills will be an asset:
• Experience with the ICON model or similar unified models
• Experience in external fundraising and project management
• Experience in teaching
Your application should be a single PDF file that includes:
• A letter of motivation outlining your interest in the position, your research interests and your longer-term career plan (max 3 pages)
• A curriculum vitae including a list of publications, presentations and teaching experience
• Contact information of two references
• Degree certificates
Applications submitted by 15 Feb 2021 will receive full consideration, but the search process will continue until the position is filled.
Inquiries about the scientific aspects of the position should be directed to Aiko Voigt (firstname.lastname@example.org). Inquiries about the formal procedure of the application should be directed to Stefanie Weinberger, +43-1-4277-537 09.
Main research field
Special research fields
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 15.02.2021, mentioning reference number 11596.
For further information please contact Weinberger, Stefanie +43-1-4277-53709.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.