University Assistant (post doc) at the Department of Science and Technology Studies
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (post doc)
at the Department of Science and Technology Studies
Reference number: 10658
The Department of Science and Technology Studies is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences. Science and Technology Studies is a social science field with a strong interdisciplinary orientation that analyses the interactions of science, technology and society. Department research focuses on knowledge and technology cultures, the relations of techno-sciences and publics, and the governance of techno-sciences and society. The department offers the English language master program 'Science-Technology-Society', as well as a number of course formats for other programs.
The post doc will join the group of University Professor Sarah R Davies, which focuses on Technosciences, Materiality, and Digital Culture. Their research will explore interactions between technoscience and digitisation in public spaces, cultures, and digital environments. Their interests may include, but are not limited to:
• Online consumption, production, and negotiation of scientific knowledge and information by public actors;
• Digital science communication, activism, or public engagement;
• Public activism and engagement around data practices;
• Public perceptions of data practices or the digital.
The anticipated start date of the position is May 2020.
• Independent research in Science and Technology Studies;
• Publication of research results in recognised international journals and/or book publishers;
• Application for research funding at funding agencies with a competitive and internationally oriented review system;
• Independent teaching of courses in Science and Technology Studies at the bachelor and master level;
• Supervision or co-supervision of students at master level;
• Contribution to the administration and management of the research group and department.
• Completed PhD (by the time the position begins);
• Broad knowledge of the topics, theories and methods of Science and Technology Studies;
• Distinct research profile in the area of technoscience and digitisation in public spaces, cultures, and digital environments, expressed in international publications and in a coherent research plan;
• Teaching experience: the candidate should be able to offer thematically focused research seminars as well as introductory courses with a broader thematic spectrum, both at bachelor and master level;
• Excellent proficiency in English. Proficiency in German (or readiness to acquire it) is an advantage.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate ability to work in a team, organising ability, and reliability. Experiences in (co-)supervising student theses are also an advantage.
Required documents: • Letter of motivation;
• Curriculum Vitae;
• Teaching statement, including a syllabus of one or two courses the candidate has taught;
• Two selected papers – or sections of larger publications – as evidence of writing skills;
• A 3-5 page research statement (references not included in page count), including a plan for the course of the 6 year position (this may include plans for a programme of research, for applications for research funding, and for publications);
• The names and contact details of two referees.
Main research field
Special research fields
Other Social Sciences
Social studies of science
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 15.04.2020, mentioning reference number 10658.
For further information please contact Davies, Sarah .
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Um unsere Webseite optimal gestalten und fortlaufend verbessern zu können, verwenden wir Cookies. Durch die weitere Nutzung der Webseite stimmen Sie der Verwendung von Cookies zu. Weitere Informationen sowie Hinweise dazu, wie Sie die Speicherung der Cookies verhindern können, finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.