Bitte beachten Sie: Diese Stellenanzeige ist nicht mehr aktiv.
Entdecken Sie hier weitere Stellenanzeigen auf academics, dem führenden Stellenmarkt für Wissenschaft und Forschung. Um regelmäßig per E-Mail über passende Stellen informiert zu werden, können Sie sich jederzeit kostenlos registrieren.
University Assistant (prae doc) at the Department of Geography and Regional Research
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 30.03.2020 of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Department of Geography and Regional Research
Reference number: 10244
We seek a highly motivated individual to undertake a PhD in the general field of Geoecology within the Department of Geography and Regional Research at the University of Vienna. This comes as a post salaried for 30h/week, and you will be an employee of the University of Vienna whilst undertaking your doctoral studies. The likely area of your focus will involve the analysis of greenhouse gas fluxes from Austrian and possibly international sites. The ultimate objective will be to advance our understanding of peatland functioning, peat formation, preservation, and degradation using modern meteorological and ecological techniques. Traditional fieldwork will be combined with modelling work, taking advantage of modern instruments for the determination and analysis of greenhouse gas fluxes. Fieldwork will include work in Austria, with possible extensions into other prominent well examined peatlands in Europe and America. In addition to an outstanding academic track record and the potential to produce excellent science, you are expected to participate in teaching activities following the collective bargaining agreement, as well as to collaborate and interact with other scientists (especially at the interface between Geography, Meteorology and Ecology).
Participation in research, teaching and administration:
- Fundamental: To conduct research focused on peat and peatlands under the supervision of Prof. Stephan Glatzel (University of Vienna)
- To present scientific results at the appropriate conferences and to prepare these results for publication
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students (in particular: help supervising Bachelor students projects from time to time)
- Involvement in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposiums from time to time
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
- Excellent diploma or master degree in a Geo- or Environmental Science
- Proven competence in laboratory work
- High level of self-motivation and willingness to do fieldwork in remote locations
- High ability to express yourself both orally and in writing (vital for thesis completion and scientific publications)
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Valid driving licence (EU Class B or equivalent) and ability to drive large vehicles within this class (e.g. VW Crafter)
- Knowledge of MS Office and programming languages (in particular R)
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Degree certificates
Main research field
Special research fields
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 31.12.2019, mentioning reference number 10244.
For further information please contact Glatzel, Stephan +43-1-4277-48660.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.