University Assistant (prae doc) at the Department of Meteorology and Geophysics
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 179 fields of study, approx. 10.000 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.10.2022 of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Department of Meteorology and Geophysics
Reference number: 13245
We offer a PhD (“prae-doctoral”) position in the field of atmospheric clouds. The position will be embedded in the research group of Ass.-Prof. Manfred Dorninger on experimental meteorology.
The starting date is 1 October 2022. The announcement is made for three years, whereby the employment relationship is initially limited to 1.5 years and is automatically extended to a total of three years, unless the employer submits a declaration of non-renewal after a maximum of 12 months. Extension to four years might be possible in mutual agreement if funds are available and if the successful candidate has shown her*his high abilities.
Clouds are the visible result of dynamic and thermo-dynamic processes going on in the atmosphere. The description of cloud processes in Numerical Weather Prediction models has improved dramatically within the last decade. The correct timing and location of clouds is crucial e.g., for a correct precipitation forecast, for climate and climate change, ceiling and visibility, and sun shine duration in connection with renewable energy production. However, information about the 3D-structure of the clouds is lacking in the observations, e.g. for a 3D verification of cloud forecasts.
The PhD student will select and further develop machine and deep learning methods to quantify the cloud type from cloud images. The cloud type will be used as a substitute for the unmeasured vertical extension of the clouds. She*he will organize the training data set, select and test machine and deep learning methods, train and evaluate the selected methods.
This position will be part of the Vienna Network for Atmospheric Research (VINAR), a collaboration between the University of Vienna and ZAMG (https://vinar.univie.ac.at/). The student will have access to data and models used at ZAMG and the research will be conducted in close collaboration with ZAMG.
The successful candidate will be member of the Vienna International School of Earth and Space Sciences VISESS (https://visess.univie.ac.at/).
Besides research, the successful candidate is also expected to participate in teaching and the supervision of students as well as in science related administrative tasks.
Financial support is available for attending international meetings and visiting international research partners.
Participation in research, teaching and administration:
• Development and application of machine and deep learning methods for cloud type analysis
• Scientific publications and presentations;
• Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement as well as supervision of students
• Support of collaboration activities in the Vienna Network for Atmospheric Research;
• Involvement in the organisation of meetings / conferences / symposiums and in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration;
• We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12 months.
• MSc or Diploma degree in meteorology, physics, mathematics, or related subject;
• Good communication skills and ability to work in a team;
• Large experience in programming;
• Excellent command of written and spoken English.
Furthermore, the following skills/expertise will be an asset:
• Experience with machine and deep learning methods
Your application should be a single PDF file that includes:
• A letter of motivation;
• A curriculum vitae;
• A list of publications and presentations;
• Contact information of two references;
• Degree certificates.
Main research field
Special research fields
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 11.07.2022, mentioning reference number 13245.
For further information please contact Dorninger, Manfred +43-1-4277-53731.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.