University Assistant (prae doc) at the Department of Palaeontology
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.10.2022 of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Department of Palaeontology
Reference number: 13431
The Palaeoecosystem team (Prof. Dr. Petra Heinz) has an open position in the field of micropalaeontology. The advertised position is located in the Department of Palaeontology which represents an interface between Earth Sciences and Life Sciences. We investigate benthic foraminifera and their role in the marine food web. In this project, feeding experiments will be performed using stable isotope tracers. The group is looking for a highly motivated research assistant aiming at a PhD degree working with living benthic foraminifera. We offer an excellent working environment in a creative team.
The employment relationship is initially limited to 1.5 years and automatically extended to a total of 4 years, unless the employer submits a declaration of nonrenewal after a maximum of 12 months.
Participation in research, teaching and administration:
- Research in benthic foraminifera
- Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Involvement in the organisation of meetings and field trips
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
- Masters or Diploma degree in Palaeontology, Biology, Geology, or other related fields of sciences
- Experience and knowledge in the field of foraminifera/micropalaeontolgy is desirable
- Willingness to participate at scientific cruises
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- IT user skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Teaching experience
- Knowledge of university processes and structures
- Basic experience in research methods and academic writing
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Degree certificates
Main research field
Special research fields
Type of computer skills
Specified computer skills
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 04.09.2022, mentioning reference number 13431.
For further information please contact Heinz, Petra +43-1-4277-53580.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.