Bitte beachten Sie: Diese Stellenanzeige ist nicht mehr aktiv.
Entdecken Sie hier weitere Stellenanzeigen auf academics, dem führenden Stellenmarkt für Wissenschaft und Forschung. Um regelmäßig per E-Mail über passende Stellen informiert zu werden, können Sie sich jederzeit kostenlos registrieren.
University Assistant (prae doc) at the Research Group Theory and Applications of Algorithms
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Research Group Theory and Applications of Algorithms
Reference number: 11660
We invite applications for the position of a research assistant (prae doc) in the research group Theory and Applications of Algorithms of the Faculty of Computer Science under the supervision of Prof. Wilfried Gansterer. The successful candidate will complement and extend projects on resilient numerical algorithms and on reliable low complexity machine learning algorithms. If you are interested in research on efficient numerical algorithms with a particular focus on aspects related to high performance computing and/or parallel and distributed computing (including questions arising in computational and data science) and want to pursue a doctoral degree in computer science, we would like to hear from you.
We provide close supervision of the dissertation project, a highly collaborative research environment and a pleasant work environment within a friendly, dynamic, international and young team. You will find many opportunities for interacting with other PhD students in the UniVie Doctoral School Computer Science and for growing academically as well as personally, including possible team leads in research projects and opportunities for international exchange. The position will be limited to four years.
You are expected to actively pursue and successfully complete a dissertation project (PhD thesis). We expect you to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months. Moreover, you will participate in research, teaching and administration. This comprises
- participation in research projects / research studies
- participation in the publication and presentation of research results
- participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- supervision of Bachelor and Master students
- participation in the procurement of third-party funds and in project management
- participation in administrative tasks arising in research and teaching
- participation in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposia
Possible research topics come from numerical high performance computing, from parallel and distributed computing, from applications in computational or data science, or from the interaction between these areas (e.g., reliable low complexity machine learning algorithms, communication-efficient machine learning algorithms, etc.).
For this position, you need to have
- a university degree (at least Masters degree or equivalent) in Computer Science or in a very closely related area (e.g., Mathematics). However, knowledge of Computer Science basics and good programming skills are a core requirement.
- high interest and strong background in numerical analysis, numerical algorithms and numerical computing
- the ability to work creatively and independently in a goal-oriented manner
- the ability to work in a team
- good communication skills and the ability to express yourself clearly, both orally and in writing
- excellent command of written and spoken English
Desirable qualifications are
- basic experience in research methods and academic writing
- experience in research and publishing
- experience with machine learning algorithms, e.g. in deep learning
Application documents: - Motivation letter, including ideas for a prospective doctoral project proposal
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Degree certificates
- At least two letters of reference
Main research field
Special research fields
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 14.02.2021, mentioning reference number 11660.
For further information please contact Gansterer, Wilfried +43-1-4277-78311, +43-1-4277-78010.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.