University Assistant (prae doc) at the Research Platform The Challenge of Urban Futures: governing the complexities in European cities
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 179 fields of study, approx. 10.000 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Research Platform The Challenge of Urban Futures: governing the complexities in European cities
Reference number: 11932
The PhD position advertised here is linked to the research platform "The Challenge of Urban Futures: governing the complexities in European cities". The aim of the platform is to unravel the social, cultural, economic and political-institutional mechanisms underlying urban change in order to trace the transformations of the European urban model over the last four decades.
The PhD position focuses on the relations, interactions and tensions between social policy and environmental policy from a comparative perspective. In particular, urban spaces and the interplay of diverse actors and institutions in the fields of environmental and social sustainability as well as justice themes will be addressed, considering multi-level governance approaches. In order to carry out this cross-level analysis profitably, work with an interdisciplinary and mixed-methods approach is required. This position is of particular interest to those who wish to examine social and environmental policies and their spatial relations.
The advertised position is assigned to Prof. Yuri Kazepov. We are looking for an independent scientist with an interest in urban contexts, especially in relation to sustainable and social development. Responsibilities include:
- Participation in research, teaching (teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement) and administration
- Participation in research projects / research studies
- Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months
- Due to the strong focus on (international) networking, involvement in the organization of numerous seminars and conferences within the platform as well as participation in external events is sought
- Diploma or Master's degree in sociology or related disciplines
- High competence in qualitative and quantitative methods
- Very good command of written and spoken English.
- Working knowledge of German
Desirable qualifications are:
- Teaching experience / experience of working with e-learning
- Knowledge of university processes and structures
- Experience abroad
- Basic experience in research methods and academic writing
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Diploma certificates
Main research field
Special research fields
General sociology;Environmental sociology
Very good knowledge
Type of computer skills
Specified computer skills
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 01.09.2021, mentioning reference number 11932.
For further information please contact Harnacker, Sebastian +43-1-4277-29302, Kazepov, Yuri Albert Kyrill +43-1-4277-49270.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.