The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Vienna Doctoral School of Pharmaceutical, Nutritional and Sport Sciences
Reference number: 13783
The Vienna Doctoral School of Pharmaceutical, Nutritional and Sport Sciences (VDS PhaNuSpo) intends to provide an internationally competitive scientific training of doctoral students in innovative pharma, food and sport research. The school wants to attract motivated students and to guide them towards scientific excellence and independence in a truly unique and dynamic multi-as well as interdisciplinary environment to finally become well-educated, open-minded and responsible graduates.
The research group Cerebrovascular Pharmacology at the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences has a vacancy for a University Assistant praedoc (PhD) to study the effect of dietary intervention on hypertension-induced brain injury. The research group develops novel therapeutic options for neurological diseases, with a particular focus on stroke, brain hemorrhage, vascular dementia, and brain aging. Using cutting-edge scientific approaches and technologies, we aim to better understand the nervous system and its interactions with the body. This enables us to develop innovative therapies for prevention, cytoprotection, regeneration, and recovery of motor and cognitive function that are limited in patients suffering from these devastating diseases.
The announcement is made for four years, whereby the employment relationship is initially limited to 1.5 years and is automatically extended to a total of four years, unless the employer submits a declaration of non-renewal after a maximum of 12 months.
Further details are available here:
Duration of employment:
Extent of Employment: 30.0 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement
: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
Active participation in research, teaching and administration. This includes:
* Participation in research projects in the field of cerebrovascular diseases with a focus on dietary intervention in hypertension-induced brain injury
* Cell culture (primary brain cells and cell lines), in vivo experiments
* Different cell-based assays, immunofluorescence, microscopy, molecular biology
* Data analysis
* Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
* We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within the first year of employment.
We are looking for a highly motivated person who:
* Has an above average Master’s degree or similar in pharmaceutical sciences, neurosciences, biology, or a similar field
* Is interested in working in vitro and in vivo
* Is interested in neuroscience
* Has experience in cell culture work (this is a plus)
* Works reliably (appropriate training will be provided)
* Is a team player
* Has a very good command of written and spoken English
Application documents should include a letter of motivation, an academic curriculum vitae, degree certificates and transcript of records and to be submitted via the recruitment tool Apply@PhaNuSpo (
The successful candidate will join the Vienna Doctoral School of Pharmaceutical, Nutritional, and Sport Sciences (vds-phanuspo.univie.ac.at) of the University of Vienna.
For further information please contact Marietta Zille (
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 13783