The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Vienna Doctoral School of Social Sciences (ViDSS)
Reference number: 14162
The Vienna Doctoral School of Social Sciences (https://vds-sosci.univie.ac.at/) promotes innovative, excellent, problem-oriented research that aspires to contribute to societal debates and address key global challenges. The cohorts trained and supported by the ViDSS are part of the vibrant research environment at the Faculty of Social Sciences of the University of Vienna. The ViDSS aims for the highest standards in doctoral training and close supervision to ensure a mastery of social scientific debates and relevant theories and methods.
With the ViDSS Short-term Finishing Contracts, the Vienna Doctoral School of Social Sciences supports doctoral candidates in the final phase of their doctoral studies.
Four 3-months positions as University assistants (prae doc)
are offered for student members of the ViDSS who have successfully passed the public presentation at the Faculty, concluded the doctoral thesis agreement and, since then, submitted progress reports on a regular basis (at least annually).
Applicants should have an excellent study record (duration of studies, grades) and provide evidence of relevant academic achievements (conference presentations, publications, etc.) and experience with university structures. The doctoral thesis should be completed and submitted within the duration of the employment. At the time of the application, approximately half of the doctoral thesis should be finalised. If candidates conduct an empirical doctoral thesis project, data collection must be completed upon submission of an application for the position.
Please visit our web page
in order to apply and receive detailed information on the opened positions and the application documents. Applications have to be submitted via the online application form on our website.
Extent of Employment: 30.0 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement
: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
Active participation in research, teaching and administration in the context of the candidate’s doctoral thesis project. This includes:
• Independent research and finalisation of the research project as detailed in the candidate’s doctoral thesis agreement
• Cooperation in publications, academic articles, and presentations
• Participation in the organisation of meetings, conferences and symposia
• Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
• Participation in the department’s administration
We expect from all applicants to have
• Above-average MA or equivalent in a field of study relevant for the open position
• Deep interest in and enthusiasm for scientific work
• High level of motivation and commitment to successfully complete his/her doctoral studies within the anticipated time frame
• Collaborative, team-minded and pro-active attitude
• High level of written and oral communication skills
• Excellent English language skills (written and oral)
• Experience with university structures
For further information please contact
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 14162